Currently I'm reading: Jenseits vom Tatort by Horst Brandt

About Me

Followers

Add me

Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin

Page visits

Follow me on

Blog Archive

My Blog List

Powered by Blogger.

Peggy Farooqi is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.

4 February 2014


First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro is hosted by bibliophilebythesea.

This is how it works: Write down either the first paragraph of a book your are currently reading / intending to read or read in the past and share with us. I do like a good opening!




My book choice today is a book I received 2 weeks ago and which I'm reading at the moment by Jesse Giles Christiansen called Pelican Bay. The author takes us to the mystery of a sea-battered small fishing town called Pelican Bay where protagonist Ethan Hodges is good friends with local old oddball fisherman Captain Shelby who, as Ethan will discover, strangely was already an old man when his grandmother was only a schoolgirl. Captain Shelby wants Ethan to let the past alone but Ethan's curiosity has been raised. 

The book starts with a prologue, taking us back to 1931, and than the opening paragraph of chapter 1:

I must have been dreaming, or at least it felt that way, when I first saw the peculiar rocks darkly festooning the ocean floor just beyond the shoreline. They started to appear after the recent storms that had rocked Pelican Bay, South Carolina, black freckles left by Mother Nature to remind Morgan Olinsworth and me, Ethan Hodges, of how small we were in the grand scheme of things.
"Look, off to the right, you can see them under the water. They're so strange. Why are they suddenly showing up? Have you tried to dive down and see them?"





Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB at Should be reading. 

These are the rules  (taken directly from MizB's blog:)



• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Here are again some extracts from Pelican Bay which I had highlighted on my Kindle because for some reason, they stood out to me (sometimes I like a particular word / word combination), I also like how the direct speak of Captain Shelby is brought across.

  1. "Well, me Son, I'm given' ye an answer." He was staring vaguely at the place where one's fishing line disappears into the water. "About what?" "Ye asked how old I be." "You know, I don't really care about that anymore." "No, me Son, a question deserves an answer. I guess I was just afraid of ye actin' like all them other land folks. Can ye keep a secret, me Son?                                                                                            -
  2. Is this all just a bizarre case of imagination gone wild? I've known Captain Shelby since I was a kid. And now the poor old man's worried, and he says he's sorry! Maybe we're just suffering fro some kind of small town fever. This has to stop. Now.

I'm now 47% into this book. After an initial slow start on chapter 1-2, I am now well and truly hooked and want to find out what the secret of Pelican Bay and the mysterious captain Shelby is. 

Full review to follow shortly.