Currently I'm reading: Jenseits vom Tatort by Horst Brandt

About Me

Followers

Add me

Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin

Page visits

Follow me on

My Blog List

Powered by Blogger.

Peggy Farooqi is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.

25 January 2015

The Sunday Post


Sunday Post hosted by Kimba @ The Caffeinated Book Reviewer

~this meme was inspired in part by ~ In My Mailbox~
It’s a chance to share News. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog. This is your news post, so personalize it! Include as much as you want or as little. Be creative, it can be a vlog or just a showcase of your goodies. Link up once a week or once a month, you decide. Book haul can include library books, yard sale finds, arcs and bought books..share them! 
Anyone can participate as long as you:

  • Enter your link on the post- Sundays beginning at 12:01 am
    (CST) (link will be open all week)
     
  • Link back to this post or this blog 
  • Visit others who have linked up


What have I been up to?

It really has been a while since my last Sunday Post, but hoping to catch up with everyone this week. Not much blogging done sadly, but there are quite a few things going on as always. 

We are decorating at home. Getting our dining / living room and hallway all done new. No, I've got no talent for such things and neither has hubby, so we have to get people in to do it for us. All old furniture thrown out (believe me, it was time to do this!), wallpaper off and carpets out. Can't wait - but the house is a mess and the 5 of us are camping in our two bedrooms !





Also... I'm doing my first literary translation. It is for a short story I reviewed a while ago called Red. The author is a lovely guy whom I still have contact with on FB. Let's see where it takes me. I'm doing this one for the reference only. I would love to do translation as a main job, but it just doesn't pay enough and unless you are well established, is really difficult to get into. My mother tongue is German, and I sometimes translated books 'just for myself'. I read books translated from English into German and thought:  that's really bad, I could do a better job than that. A good translation should not read like a translation! 

The worst example I ever read in a translation was in a well-known book about a boy-wizard (yes, that famous serious which shall remain unnamed). The word 'custard pie' was translated as 'Senfkuchen'. Now SENF is mustard! So it was translated as 'mustard pie'. I was scratching my head ... what, a mustard pie? Now of course in the wizardy world anything is possible, eating slugs and all this. But it later occurred to me that someone most likely confused custard with mustard! 



On the blog 

My latest reviews



What am I reading at the moment:


What passing Bells by Julian Moss

This is a review book I received a while ago (I am so behind with reviews!). I initially shy-ed away from this book as it is 800 pages. It just seems to be a big time investment. However, I'm glad I started it and I'm now on page 368. Not my usual read either - it is around World War I, but beautifully written, telling the story of a young Welshman and his love, both caught up in it. The story is intersected with the story of a young Adolf Hitler. 


Books I bought in the last few weeks: 

Amazon had a 99p day for Nicci French books so I bought them all :) 




























And 2 Leigh Russell books. Absolutely love her books. I used to converse with her when she was just writing her first book. What a talent!






Happy reading everyone

Peggy x